Monday, February 4, 2013

Bay Street Bistro, Port Orchard WA

We've been coming to this place basically since it open. Time to share....

She Said:
This is a small cozy restaurant. While parking can be a moderate challenge, there's plenty of parking just across the street. I've heard people complain but really, it's less than a city block. This is a 21 and over only restaurant which I both love and hate. I love being able to have a quiet grown up dinner with the man, but I'd also like to be able to bring in my foodie teenage boys.

Never wait more than about 30 seconds when you walk in to be greeted. It's a small place where they get to know you.

They always greet you at the table with an aperitif. I love it. I don't always love the choice (although the apfel liquor was yummy) I just love the concept. An aperitif just seems so....civilized.

I almost always order off the specials sheet. It's inevitably interesting and super fresh.

Appetizer:
We shared the grilled bruschetta with red onion marmalade and goat cheese. HOLY CRAP! I didn't chip a tooth! Bruschetta always scares me a bit (well, it's actually the fear of a large dental bill. Seriously, I've had some you could drive a nail with). There was a little too much of the onion jam and not enough goat cheese for my taste, but it was still yummy, and I just removed some of the jam. The toast was crispy, warm and nicely grilled.

This appetizer DID NOT work with my glass of Pinot Gris but my husband's Merlot was great with it. Yes, I likely drank too much of his wine, but it was goooood and he loves me so I can get away with it.

Salad:
The winter greens, pear and pecorino salad was good. Not amazing but good. While whole rings of sweet onion look pretty, I hate having to take a knife to a salad. Could just be me. I think I just may be a bit of a salad snob. I get the concept of charging for a salad since, for most people, it's a bit of a throw away course. I just want it to be special or not at all.

Ok, yea. I'm a salad snob.

Entree:
I ordered off the special sheet, ignoring my go-to rib-eye which, while spendy, is yummy when you just need a beautiful hunk of meat. Occasionally you just have to obey the inner carnivore. Well, at least I do.

The local Arctic Char was grilled with just sea salt and olive oil and served over wilted greens. It was perfect. I wanted to rub it in my hair and on my face. Roll around in it and purr. In just retribution for the earlier Merlot incident, my husband ate what was likely too much of my dinner. I considered this open warfare and dove into his steak.

They also serve the garnishes family style, putting the plate of roasted veggies in the middle of the table. I love this. I loved the carrots. I loved the potatoes. I hated the broccoli. Seriously, roasted broccoli is gross. The flowers are just dry, brown...yuck. And I truly and deeply love broccoli. Not like I love a great martini or a beautifully cooked steak, but as veggies go, it's in my top 5 and I will openly pursue it.

Dessert:
We decided to share one of the home made ice creams. This was not a good choice. It was freezer burned and crystallized. They offered us something else and removed it from the bill. Couldn't really ask for anything more. At this point we were both uncomfortably full, and passed on further sweets.

Service:
Always great. Servers are sweet, knowledgeable and don't hover. I hate hovering. I come for dinner to relax with my husband. I hate it when I feel stalked.

Chef owner always comes out and does a spin through the dining room. Always eager to hear feedback.

Overall, I'd rate it an A-. A tad spendy, but you know you're going to get something fresh and well prepared, receive excellent service in a cozy environment. If something's wrong, they make it right. To me, a good restaurant is not about everything being flawless, but how they recover. We'll definitely be back.






No comments:

Post a Comment