Monday, February 11, 2013

Prohibition Gastropub, Everett, WA


We'd heard Gordon Ramsay had done his schtick here, so we thought we'd give it a try. What can I say, we're suckers for a restaurant on the edge!

She Said:
First, I hate the term "Gastropub". I know it's the chic new term for upscale comfort food in a casual setting, but to me in just sounds like a medical term for intestinal blockage. I hope this trend ends soon. I really do.

The decor was really nice. Felt like a 20's speak easy and the place was hopping!

Had a very nice cocktail at the bar, although the bartender seemed hesitant to give suggestions. Not sure why. Cocktails were also a bit spendy but not enough to make me choke.

Appetizer:
I had the fish and crab cakes. They were really really good. Perfect, crispy and just yummy. The yummy where you don't want anyone to talk to you while you're eating kind of yummy. Yummy I just wanted to eat more of them yummy.

My husband had the duck salad. This is listed as a starter, but be warned, it's REALLY big. A leg and a thigh on the bed of greens big. This is an entree sized salad big.

That said, it was freaking delicious. Duck was beautifully done; golden and crispy. I don't remember much about the greens, I was really focused on the duck, it was that good. Not to denigrate the vegetarian's out there, but we like meat and unless someone has done something new! amazing! fresh! greens are pretty much just greens in my world.

Except Arugula. I LOVE arugula.

Oh...in retrospect how we wish we'd stopped after the starters. Great cocktails! Amazing starter! Lovely Wine! Intimate fun atmosphere! But no......we went further.

Entrees:
I had the Short Rib Stroganoff. I love Short Ribs with a deep and abiding passion that transcends all understanding. I felt personally betrayed by this dish.

This tasted like shredded bit of Chuck is weirdish sauce over store bought egg noodles. I really wanted to love this, I truly did. For $16 I wanted more than a bowl of egg noodles with a really small portion of what tasted like pot roast. Seriously, this was like Denny's food. I left most of it in the bowl.

My husband had the Salmon. While I've previously discussed our individual takes on Salmon (and to their credit, they wanted to cook it mid-rare). So, that said, Salmon had a weird mealy texture. Flavors were nice, texture was not nice. He'll doubtless have more too add here.

But did we stop there? Nope. We forged ahead to dessert!

Dessert:
Ok, by this point we were really full, but wanted to try a dessert. We decided to share the apple crumble.

Weird, mushy and tasted slightly burned. My husband actually made the waitress try a bite.

Overall, I think a great place for a cocktail and maybe a nibble. I really enjoyed everything up to the entree. So half the evening? I think overall that rates a solid C.








No comments:

Post a Comment